Monday, August 27, 2007

Fun Monday

So I am doing this fun Monday thing that I found over at Lisa's Chaos.
She provided the following question, which I will attempt to answer with wit and grace. I am not sure if I am supposed to do some linky magic to go with this or not, but since I can't quite figure all of that out yet, I won't.

I’d like to know more about you, what makes you tick. I’d like to know how you started blogging. Did you keep a diary under lock and key safely hidden as a child? Do you still? Do you share the same things on your blog that you would have, or do, in your diary? Why did you start blogging and why do you continue? May as well throw in any roadblocks you have run into while blogging. If you still have your old diaries we’d love to see them.

Let's see, I first started blogging way back in June of 2007. It was such a long time ago, but I will do my best to drudge up the old memories. I actually started blogging on Myspace. I did that mostly to entertain my sister. I would write little funny posts that would make her comment and say things like, "I know exactly what you mean...what a pain in the ass" or " God, you are a nut. Why do you want people to know this stuff?" Those aren't direct quotes, because I am too lazy to go look at Myspace, but you get the idea. And when I read her comments I would think, "Haha she was laughing when she wrote that." That made me happy and it made me feel close to her.
So shortly after that I decided that I didn't necessarily want all of the people on Myspace having access to the inner workings of my delicious mind. That is when I started this blog. You can go back and look at the archives. It was a dismal start. I managed like 2 posts a month. And then...a wonderful thing happened. See, I am obsessed with Angelina Jolie ( I know, I can't help it though, I really love her :)) and I would read Pittwatch everyday (at work) in my free time. One day Sherry, the author of that informative blog, said something about a blogathon over at her other blog Chaos Theory. Because I love Pittwatch so much, I decided to check it out. I was addicted instantly. Here was this woman with children the same as as my children, with interests very much like mine, and she was so freaking entertaining. I loved it. I stalked her throughout her whole blogathon. And then I decided that it was time to get off my butt ( my lazy butt) and start blogging for real.
See, I have always wanted to be a writer, but somehow life got in the way of that dream. For the past eight years or so I have been too busy learning how to be a wife and a mom to have time to read, much less write. Well even though it isn't the novel that I dreamed of yet, blogging does have me writing everyday. More important than that, it has me thinking of other things to write. Together those two things make me feel like I am doing something just for me. And that my friends is something that we Parents don't get to do very often. I love blogging for that reason and because I have found so many other cool people out there that just thrill me with their wit, sincerity, and passion. This is just a great great community and I am thrilled to be a part of it.
As far as diaries, I would occasionally keep them. I still have one that lasted me from the sixth grade to the tenth grade. Obviously it was as pathetic as this blog was when I first started it. But it is funny to read all of the things that I thought. let me tell you, I was a crazy kid. One page reads, " I HATE YOU, MOM! I WILL NEVER RESPECT YOU AGAIN. I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY. YOU HAVE RUINED MY LIFE!!!" Ummm, I have no idea what that was about. I obviously didn't feel that it was important to document why my relationship with my Mother ended... just the fact that it did was enough.
The one thing that diary tells me is that I do not want my children to learn how to write. Apparently writing makes you lose your mind and hate your Mama.

9 comments:

Robocop said...

I was always curious on what it would be like to be a writer, but I have no idea what I would write about.

I am glad that you seem to enjoy it.

OhTheJoys said...

I started blogging to make my husband laugh at work, but then blogger got firewalled. It was too late though. I was hooked. A junkie of blogging.

Amanda said...

I find blogging a great way to get my brain working. Looking after the toddler all day long seems to stop me from thinking and keeps me in the mode of just reacting. Blogging really is my way of calming myself, meeting new people and just doing something for myself.

Dx said...

I'm just following the "nice matters" links from Blue Mommas blogsite to see who else she's presenting awards to or getting them from. Just as well I paid you a visit 'cause I got all that info on you.

ChrisB said...

Hi It's interesting to read how you started to blog. I had to laugh at your diary entry I expect if the truth was told we have all been there !!

Maude Lynn said...

Love that teen angst entry!

Pamela said...

Well.. I'm not so sure the writing made you do that, but it enabled you to expres your feelings eloquently.
I hope you don't mind that it made me giggle... as I think every child has said that at one time or another.

Have you mended ????

Beccy said...

Since I've been blogging I take far more notice of things that happen around me...busy looking for a post!

Anonymous said...

Hee, I'm glad I inspired you.

I've been doing this so long (I started writing online before blogs even existed and we had to code everything by hand, back in 1998) that I don't even remember what it was that possessed me to write about my life on the Internet. :)