Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Trip to the Farm

The field trip was great. It was the perfect day for riding in a flat bed of hay with a bunch of strangers. Although Super Z was a little clingy, wanting to play with me more than his classmates, I did get to see him in action some. He seems to get along great with his classmates.
He seemed particularly close to one little girl. Every time the group sat down somewhere Z and this little girl would wind up off to the side together. They were pretty cute.When he saw me taking a picture of his preschool flirting he called me out on it, "Mom, you don't need to take a picture right now. We are just talking."
I didn't get a lot of pictures of the pumpkin patch because the batteries in my camera started dying as soon as I took the first picture. I know , I need to work on the whole preparedness thing. I promise I will try to do better in the future. Don't worry though, I did manage to get a few good shots in.
The pumpkin patch is on an operational farm. As a result, we got to see all kinds of cool animals. Super Z's favorite was the goat on the goat bridge. I am not sure why the goats have a bridge over their shed, but they do. And it is an impressive sight.
The hayride probably lasted about an hour. The farmer would stop the tractor every now and again to talk to us about the animals. Mostly Z and I just enjoyed each others company during the ride. He told me a wonderful story about a Super Hero that lives on a farm, Super Rooster Boy. I am telling you, the boy is going to make me a million dollars one day.
On one stop a giant cow walked right up to us. I am no city slicker, but I am telling you this is the biggest cow that I have ever seen. Her name is Molly. Apparently she has lived on the farm for many years. She walked right up to the trailer full of four year olds. Molly had no fear.
Of course the reason for the fearlessness quickly became obvious. Old Molly is no fool, she has Farmer Boyd figured out. We got a up close view of him spoiling his Old Molly.
Finally we arrived at the pumpkin patch. They had an area roped off for the kids. The pumpkins were already cut. They were just laying around. Each child got to pick their very own pumpkin to take back. This is a shot of Super Z with his pumpkin of choice. This is also the very last picture that my camera would take.
After we picked and bagged our pumpkins, the children got to play in a cornbox ( think sandbox with loose corn), on rope swings, and in a hay bale maze. It was awesome. Completely awesome.
Super Z's first field trip was every bit as good as I hoped it would be. I can't wait until we get to do it again.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you two had such a great time. Super Rooster is the new He Man, I'm thinking! Molly looks like fun. And, Super Z already has the girls flocking to him! Oh, boy, S, you're gonna have your hands full.

Anonymous said...

I love going to farms like that!! I'm glad to read that you had a great time with Z.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome field trip. i don't think our field trips were ever that cool. Cute girlfriend. :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Wow, that beats the working farms we have around here! A goat bridge!

As for your son, he'll interact with the class more once he knows them better. I watched both my kids do the same things.

KC said...

Looks like a great time.

Bilbo said...

What a handsome fellow! Someday, that little girl in the first picture won't know what hit her! The goat bridge is interesting... last year, we went to a pick-your-own-berries farm where they had a similar arrangement that allowed the goats in the pen on one side of the road to come across and get treats on the other. You bought your goat treats, put them into a bucket, then hoisted the bucket up to the bridge, where a bell rang to alert the goats, who came running. Of course, some of the goats were smart enough just to watch for people going up to the bucket, then running across to be first in line when the bell rang. Goats ain't dumb!

Annie said...

Gorgeous pictures!

JUST A MOM said...

I wonder,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if when I get my farm If I can have a cow like Molly??? great pictures of your day... corn box,, weird thought.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. It looks like a priceless trip!

When I saw the cow tongue, I immediately thought of Christopher Walken's SNL skit of "I need MORE COWBELL"! :)

Anonymous said...

Punkin would have been in hog heaven at that farm! He is always wanting to go "to the barn". Exactly how far is it from here to your house......

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this was an awesome trip ... what a great time! Great pictures!

OhTheJoys said...

Oh, my GOD. The cow's TONGUE!

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

That looks like such fun. Well, except the cow tongue...