Monday, October 15, 2007

Fun Monday

Our Fun Monday host this week is Janet from The Planet of Janet. Her topic is one that I have touched on in other posts, but I love Fun Monday, so I am going to share this again. I was going to add pictures, but i don't have a scanner and the taking pictures of pictures thing just isn't working for me. Someone tell Santa that I need a scanner for Christmas, okay?
Describe your meeting with your spouse/significant other. I especially want to hear "meet cute" stories. And it doesn't have to be your actual current sig/other. Perhaps the "meet cute" story is a former boy/girlfriend... or even a best friend. Illustrate with photos, of course.
Randy and I have pretty much been running in the same circles our whole lives. When we were about 4 we lived in the same neighborhood. He lived on a different street, and my Mama didn't let me get out roaming the streets much, so I am not sure if we ever crossed paths. He swears that he remembers me from way back then.
We also attended the same elementary school up until the fourth grade. We were never in the same home room, but I knew who he was. He was the little short boy and I was the girl towering over everyone else. I am pretty sure that we played together on the playground a couple of times. When Randy was in the fourth grade his parents got divorced and his Mom moved him across the state. Thus, he disappeared from my life for the first time.
When he was 14 he came back to Natchez to live with his Dad. I remember hearing some girls talk about him during that time. You have to understand, my husband is adorable. Girls have always liked him. He eventually made his way to my best friend/ cousin Becky's house. Where they began a brief semi relationship. I think that relationship mainly consisted of kissing out of boredom. That ran its course in about a month. Towards the end of that month is when I finally ran into him.
I have to say that it was instant like. He was an intense kind of boy. He had his black hair combed over his eye, and he carried himself like a punk. Oh yes, I have always been a sucker for a punk. By the end of that day, which happened to be his 15th birthday, we were "going together." I made him stand on a log in Becky's backyard to kiss me. It was very romantic.
What followed was a relationship that lasted 6 months and 9 days. It was full of drama and fun. We were 15! Randy swears to this day that he was in love with me back then. He actually swears that he never stopped loving me. I don't know if I believe him or not. I mean, he was only 15. But I will give him this, he was devoted. If Randy had any flaw back then, it was that he liked me too much. I ran the show. He would bend over backwards to make me happy and I knew it. That is a lot of power for a 15 year old girl. Eventually I discovered that other boys liked me too, the power became too much for me to bare. I had a good friend of mine break up with Randy for me on February 13, 1992.
I am not proud of that fact. If I was going to break the boy's heart ( and he swears that I did), the least I could have done was do it myself. For a year or two Randy moped in the shadows of my life. There was no way that we could be friends. My presence was enough to make him depressed. The very sight of him brought on waves of guilt that I just didn't want to deal with. With the exception of one night that I flirted with him and kissed him for a coke ( just an excuse really), Randy slowly faded out of my life.
I moved on to a relationship with an asshole, high school adventures, and college. He moved to Mobile, AL where he became a father at the age of 18 and had a series of unimportant relationships. For the second time, Randy disappeared from my life.
When I was in college, my bad relationship finally ended. I spent a few years hanging with my friends and longing for a relationship. I remember one summer when I was at home, I decided to look Randy up. I went by his Grandma's house, because I had heard that he was back in town. She told me that he was still in Mobile, but that she would tell him that I had come by. I am not sure if he ever got that message.
In May of 1998, I met Randy for the last time. I was in town for Mother's Day. My Mom and I were on our way into town to buy my Grandma a card when she mentioned that rats had been biting people in Wal-Mart ( I have no idea if this is true or not) . I have a phobia of all things rodent, so we decided to go to Fred's instead.
Meanwhile, Randy had moved back to Natchez about a month earlier. That Mother's Day morning, he woke up with a yearning to look at new tools. Because that is just how cool he is. He headed over to Sears, which just happens to be located right next door to Fred's. When he came out of Sears, he saw that he had a flat tire. What did he do? He went to Fred's for a can of Fix-a-flat.
I remember it like it was yesterday. I rounded the aisle and what did I see? Randy! The nicest boyfriend that I had ever dumped. He was just standing there..waiting for me. We smiled, we laughed, we talked. I told him that he should come out for a visit. He smiled and said that he would have to do that.
When we got home, I was so excited. There was hot molten lava running through my veins. I just knew that he wouldn't call, but he had to. Ten minutes later he called. I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off preparing for his arrival. By the next day I knew that I was in love. I knew that we would get married and be together forever. I just knew it, and it was so. A year and a month later we got married. And I promise, if he ever tries to disapear on me again.. I will hunt him down.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Childhood sweethearts. :) It's so cool that you have known each other so long! Even if you had lapses in time with each other.

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet! What a great story to tell the kids and the grandkids... and maybe even the great grandkids! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

It's great that we both married people we knew when we were little kiddos. And, finding your soul mate over a can of Fix-a-flat? That's sexy!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Childhood sweathearts? Awwww! This IS a great story for the grandkids.

Pamela said...

You had me at "stand on a log" bwaaa ha ha ha haa.

I think I should say short and sweet... but it was a much longer road to romance than that.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes guys just know when she is the right one, sometimes it takes the girl a little longer. On the other hand, it sometimes goes the other way around where the guy takes a while to figure it out. Oh, you didn't slash his tires did you, because I get the impression, if he left you again and you hunted him down, it would be the making of a country song ;-).

Anonymous said...

I see these Fred's stores all over the place. I knew they had to be good for something!

That was a really cool story. Seems like yall were just meant to be!

Jill said...

hmm finally, someone else who knew their sweetheart and had a semi relationship in high school (although i must admit, yours had more staying power, my hubby and i never kissed, awkward!) and then got together later, with his promise of undying love. wow. i mean, who'da thunk it?!? I want to give you a HUG! HUG! :-) you brightened my Tuesday.

Bilbo said...

Nice story! You may remember from my 25th anniversary post back on September 15th that Agnes and I met when she cut me off and stole the parking place I was trying to get into. As starts of a relationship go, that wasn't an award-winner, but it did work out all right in the end. Good for you and Randy!

Anonymous said...

AWW!

And if you need a gun to hunt him down again, give me a call!

Honeybell said...

Ahhh, DESTINY! I love this story!

OhTheJoys said...

A happy story is just what I needed!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A fine romantic story.

ChrisB said...

How romantic, I love your story.

John A Hill said...

Great story. hopefully you'll never have to "hunt him down."

Anonymous said...

Interesting how many people have dumped their boyfriends/girlfriends and then ended up marrying them years later. Great story!!

Robin M said...

Awww! I love your story...it was your destiny to be together. Thank you so much for sharing.

Robin in CA