Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Birthday Letter to My Princess


















Henna Reese,
This morning started like so many weekend mornings do. I awoke to the sound of you singing to yourself over the monitor. You can sing so many tunes. It doesn't even matter that you aren't saying the words. Anyone who hears the tune and that lovely pitch knows exactly what you are singing. I just kept my eyes closed and listened to your songs. You bring so much peace and happiness to my life. You are my calm.
From the moment that you were born, you have been the easiest baby. The one with the sweetest smile and the softest touch. The one who can light up any heart with a "Hey! Hello!" and a one dimpled smile. You are truly my Princess.
Sometimes, however, the calm breaks and my little spitfire steps out. The little girl who can scream like a banshee and turn three shades of red if she doesn't get "sugars" as soon as she wants them. The little girl who gets so mad that she will bite herself in a fit of rage.
I know that you are, and will always be, a force to be reckoned with. I know that you will grow and learn to see yourself the way that I see you. I will make sure that you know that you are worthy of only the best treatment, that you are a woman who never doubts that she deserves every ounce of the love and respect that others have to offer. When you hurt, and I know that you will, I will be there with you to help you through it. To help you come out stronger on the other side of the pain. I will be there cheering you on as you learn who you are . I will be the one that laughs with you and cries for you when things go wrong. You are perfection to me. You always will be.
I want to know every person that you become. I want to fight with you as a rebellious teenager. I want to cry with you when you become a Mother. I want to be your friend that you call, just to talk about what's for dinner. I want to know you. And most importantly, I want you to never doubt that I love you, no matter who you become.
You will always be the baby that had no trouble latching on. You will always be the tiny girl who slept with my hair wrapped around your fist. You will always be the girl who asked "What's this?" a 1,000 times every day. You will always be my heart.
Happy second birthday, Princess H. I look forward to another year of getting to know your heart, your mind, and your soul. I love you forever, Mama

14 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh. What a beautiful tribute to your daughter. Lovely.

Molly said...

Happy Birthday to your Princees, who is beautiful.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Wow. Absolutely beautiful. Happy Birthday!!

CdS said...

As you know I'm not one to get emotional (smile), but that was beautiful. You should print this and keep it somewhere for her -- or start a journal where you can write to both of them on their birthdays, etc. so they can keep these forever. Super Z and Princess H will always make you proud : )

katy said...

Happy Birthday to a very lovely little girl, and what a beautiful, wonderful tribute

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Princess H. She's turning into a remarkable little lady, just like her mother! Happy B-day~

Jenni said...

What a cutie! Happy birthday Little Princess!

Honeybell said...

This is so lovely, Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!

Sleeping Beauty said...

This is beautiful. What a proud mommy you are!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely letter to a lovely girl! Happy birthday Princess H! :)

Bilbo said...

What a great tribute, and such nice pictures. Princess is one lucky young lady to have such a wonderful, talented, and loving Mom.

Amanda said...

That was a beautiful letter to your daughter. I'm sure she will love reading that in the futureand will really cherish it.

What a great idea you had to write a letter to her.

JUST A MOM said...

I am late.... I am sorry... she is beautiful!! Happy birthday...

Heather said...

Happy Birthday! (belatedly...I'm sorry!)