Friday, October 26, 2007

Haiku Friday

Haiku Friday
Is it possible?
Could I actually have
a weekend of peace?
***
She is getting old...
Just not quite as old as me.
Happy Birthday, Cat!
***
These are things I've done,
hog killings and shelling peas,
Oh, my country roots.
***
There is no baby
left in this wild little boy.
How did this happen?
***
Cool sheets on my skin,
sprinkled with soft filtered light
The most perfect sleep.
***
Does he even know?
He is my strength and my heart.
The best parts of me.
***
For thirty-one years
I have been absorbing them.
This is my Dad's nose.
*
These are my Mom's hands
They have a life of their own
The dance of worry.
*
My laugh fills a room,
an echo of my sister.
The girl can't whisper.
*
Music surrounds me.
It tells of my history.
A gift from Papaw.

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Each week, when I read your haiku, I always think 'Wow! She is good and really disciplined to write one of these EVERY week'

Have a great weekend.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Oh I love your southern roots, they make for such good blog posts. Great ku again Serina.

"hog killings"

Huh? What? Where? :)

Heidi Hyde said...

Serina - this is lovely. It literally gave my goosebumps and made me well up.

Well done.

-HH

Head Gaggler said...

Wow, those are wonderful!

Unknown said...

See, you were saying you were all tapped out last week!! And, this week, in addition to killing pigs, you turn your best characteristics into haikus. Rock on, you darling Southern Belle, you!

Kelly said...

These are lovely. Who thought hog killing could ever prove artistic?

tripleZmom said...

wow, I color me impressed.

Anonymous said...

oh, this Haiku was just so beautiful! great job!

Super Z...that's cute...we've called our son Zander that a few times too! ;-)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Another excellent haiku. Well done, Serina.

Bren said...

Awesome haiku! I love the story it tells. Hog killings though... :)

Anonymous said...

Serina, you rock these haiku days!! I always love reading yours. Sorry I'm a day late.. <3

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Your haiku are AMAZING. Love.

Thanks for the comment this morning!

Got ya on my blogroll over at:
http://sarcasticmomblogroll.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!

Patois42 said...

What an amazing series of haiku. Divine.