Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Two Serina's | Guest Post

[Guest Blogger: "Cat" from Soul Survive]

When I found out I would be a guest blogger, I felt honored -- like I was being asked to be a guest columnist for the New York Times. I immediately, as is my custom, went into over-thinking mode: What should I write about? How long should it be? Should it be something about me or something about Serina? I was not only representing myself, but had to maintain the integrity of Laughter, Love, and Madness. I wanted an angle. So, for some reason I began thinking about degrees of separation. Which references not only yet another movie I have never seen, but basically deals with the principle that we are all linked together somehow through our relationships with other people.

I began to think: If Serina and I had never met, what possible link would there have been between us?

I met Serina a bit over three years ago. I had just come to the firm and was settling in. I was quiet and innocent then. I drink and curse more now, so I don’t know what that says. But anyway, I digress… One day she sent me an email inviting me to lunch. We had not talked much up to that point, but I thought she seemed cool (key word: seemed). I’m sure I wrote back, as is my custom, that I did not want to intrude. But she was having none of that and said that there was no reason I should feel that way. And off to lunch we went. Skipping off into the sunset, I’m sure, because I could still skip back then.

And so although there have been ups and downs, we have prevailed as friends and are still driving each other mad. Deliriously so. I hope in more of a good way than bad. I insult her, she laughs. I still don’t want to intrude. She keeps inviting me. Working there would feel empty without her.

In high school I did not have many friends as I was apart of the original Geek Squad. However, we knew nothing about computers and had no cool Geek-mobile to ride in. One of my closest friends was uber skinny, funny, and one of the kindest persons I have ever come across. Although I was quiet and she was more outgoing, we had a few major things in common. Neither of our families had a lot of money and we each had a sibling we adored who had a disability of some kind. Even though she was in our group, she was always fighting (and losing) the battle to become one of the popular girls. The ones with new outfits every week, boyfriends, cars, and endless party invitations. But even as she tried to become one of them, she never forgot about us. I hated their cruelty. She was kind and seemingly oblivious to it all.

“So what they drove off without me after band practice? Surely they must have just forgotten…”

But she was my friend and more beautiful in my eyes than any of them could ever hope to be. She offered me rides in the old clunker she used to ride around in and worked downtown after school in a garment plant where she was paid less than what most kids were even earning at McDonald’s.

It’s hard to become popular when you can’t afford the privilege fee.

Her name was Sabrina. Although I told my mother this, she always called her Serina. I never bothered to correct her anymore after the first couple of times.

Sabrina and I lost touch after high school. We wrote a couple of letters and spoke a couple of times during college, but that was the extent of it. Actually, the last time I remember speaking with her on the phone, she was on her way out of her dorm room to take one of her spare blankets to a girl who was new to the dorm who did not have much of anything. Because that was Sabrina.

So six years passed. I left college and moved to Jackson and was in my third (and current job). In October 2005, Serina gave birth to Princess H at one of the nearby hospitals and I went to visit. I had been there a while and who should walk in the room but…Sabrina! She was a nurse now and, apparently, one of Serina’s! I was shocked and it was only later that we reunited when I was leaving the hospital. We thought we recognized each other but had not been certain.

She was married, in school, and most of all happy. And that’s really all I needed to know. I was proud of her. And I hope she was able to feel that in my hugs and smiles.

So the two “Serina’s” met. Two people I consider great friends of mine, great people in general. And I did not even have to lift a finger to make it happen! Cause I am great like that.

And lest my current friend “Serina” not realize it, I hope you know I am proud of you and I admire you. I think you are a wonderful wife, mother, and friend. In essence, you are a good boy, Charlie Brown. (I will, however, deny I said any of this come Monday morning.)

Thank you for inviting me to lunch.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! I think you totally lived up to Serina's blog name. :D

John A Hill said...

Another pinch hit homer for Serina.

Anonymous said...

What a crazy world we live in!!
That is so funny.
Great post!

Sasha

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well done on writing that for Serena.

CdS said...

Thank you all for your comments/feedback! I appreciate all of them : )

Amanda said...

This was an interesting story. Thanks for sharing this part of your life as well as Serina's.

Serina Hope said...

Thanks for coming to lunch!!!
And thanks for this wonderful post.
Sabrina was an awesome nurse.
She really was.
I guess the geek squad in your town all turned out awesome...and what is this about seeming cool?

Anonymous said...

Moopygall Owen Daniels Womens Jersey Brooks Reed Authentic Jersey Adam Vinatieri Jersey Dientwicilt

Anonymous said...

Specifically, what it was that set them off at the bedroom. Naturally, this challenge of penis sizegenetics was broached more than once, and these ladies were not shy with their opinions. However, what they said surprised me a bit it will probably surprise many guys. Extremely effective truth about penis sizegenetics from two women who might possibly have experienced their share.sizegenetics matters, but bigger is not always better. One within the girls pointed out the fact numerous female orgasms in sizegenetics films (where these are typically generally having sex with guys who are massively endowed) are very obviously faked.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursesale.com/]www.louisvuittonpursesale.com[/url][/b] Rubalcava Attorney David R., Deputy District 5 Charles Kirk J. Fox: Lover: L. a. : Jane Braun, Delight Goldberg Legal professional Listing David B. Baker: Legal professional: San Francisco Need to have a legal professional Llewellyn, Richard H. Around we described belt widths choice, then choose belt, length the amount of acceptable? Go along with a proper belt, finest duration trousers to choose in line with all of the duration aided by the length, within the common circumstances, much more than trousers out five centimeters is much much much more suitable. Exceptional belt, exposing the plunge tail is just also brief show up as well abrupt, too prolonged also smalllouis vutton Males Bags wood house, and typically help it become suitable in front-end 1st, 2nd trousers trousers nicely immediately following just before loops is mostly a little bit far much more appropriate. finest Replica Louis Vuitton Every time you uncover oneself storing your louis vuitton fakes along with other valuables inside of your dwelling in spot of within a security deposit box or just a person harmless and tone, you must contemplate the probability that in the event you had been robbed, how easy would it not not be for that robbers to look for out your valuables.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonpursesale.com/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] You could in all probability even count what number of pairs of shoes each purchaser buys. Browse the store and examine costs. Evaluate numerous shops, like the lower price shoe retailers and department shop shoe departments.. Establishing a have confidence in may perhaps not always be your best option for the predicaments. Numerous men and women picture Texas as a big desert or some kind of dusty plain but Texas is one of one of the most assorted states america. It functions a single using the major coast lines connected with any state, previous development forests inside of eastern portion from the state, good plains to this north and mountainous deserts to your west.

[b][url=http://www.seekingbestbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Cougars are noted for their potent hind legs which provides them incredible leaping capacity. Like a cheetah, they have got a flexible spine which gives them the additional advantage of being capable to move all over factors immediately and change path very fast. Irrespective of these skills, cougars are recognized as ambush hunters which means they cover from their prey then shock it with an assault at close array.

[b][url=http://www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk[/url][/b] Lubrication is important to keeping an computerized perspective functioning effectively. Watches might be lubricated by manually winding the watch periodically and taking it in to some jeweler when about every and each 3 to 5 a lot of ages. When winding an automated watch, just wind it about thirty to forty scenarios or till you are feeling some resistance.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonvipstore.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] A novel model of progress to boost your way of life, delivering you which has a consistent contemplation in all what you're accomplishing. Even in a straightforward chat with friends or loved ones every moment is well worth your time and effort plus a memory to hold on to. Laurel Tree includes a touch of the mix of exhilaration you're feeling at theme park as well as the calmness of a resort..

Anonymous said...

у нас на интернет-блоге собран большой выбор интересных статей о [url=http://www.rk-37.ru/]лучшие сайты для девушек[/url].