Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fun Monday

The host this week is Lisa over at The Food Snob.

Challenge:
I want to see your favorite recipe, be it either because your grandmother wrote it, it's the easiest thing you can slap together that everyone likes, it makes you feel healthy, it's cheap, etc. You don't have to make it (although you could if you want) but let us see the index card, cookbook, printed paper from the web, and why it's a favorite in your house. If you have a lot, just pick one, I know I'll have to!

Okay, so there is no visual to go with my recipe. For one thing, I keep this recipe in my head. I know this as well as I know my phone number. There probably is a recipe card, but if so, it lives at my Mom's house. There is one other reason for lack of a visual, I had already cooked by the time I saw this assignment. Next time I make this though, I will be sure to get some pictures and post them.

So my recipe is Chicken and Rice. I love this recipe for many reasons. My Mom ALWAYS made us this when we were sick, I swear to you, it is a healing food. I am not sure how it works, but it does. It is also extremely cheap ( I always make two batches when I host Bunko and I spend less than $10 to feed twelve people!) and easy to make.

I have recently become aware that there are several versions of chicken and Rice out there in the world. I have never tried a version that I didn't like, My version is a soup. It is similar to Chicken and Dumplings,I guess, but with rice instead of dumplings. I know it is going to sound simple and boring, but believe me, you should try it. I haven't come across anyone yet who didn't like it.

Chicken and Rice

1 Whole chicken cut up
1 Cup rice
1 Whole onion
Water
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken, onion, salt, and pepper in the water over medium heat, creating broth. You can either cut up the onion and leave in in your soup, or boil it whole and remove it before adding your rice. I usually take it out, as I am not a big onion fan. Once the chicken is fully cooked remove it from your broth and set to the side to cool. Add the cup of rice to your simmering broth. After the chicken has cooled enough to handle, de-bone it. Add the chicken back into the broth/rice mixture. Cook until rice is done. We usually eat this with crackers. Happy Monday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm invited to bunco, right? Not that I just want to come eat chicken and rice, but if you were to fix it I would at least taste it.....

Unknown said...

I'm not doing Fun Monday, but since you brought up Chicken and Dumplings, I am going to tell you the easiest C&D recipe ever (and extremely tasty too)!

1 whole rotissiere chicken (I use the garlic & herb seasoned)
2 Cans Chicken broth
2 cans water
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
2 cans Cream of Celery soup
1 can (10 count) homestyle biscuits

De-Bone the chicken and put in pot with soups, water and broth. Cut biscuits into dumplings and boil until biscuits are cooked.

This is something that my family is sick of by the time March comes around but by about September, we are all waiting for the first cold snap so that I can make them.

Anonymous said...

Ok, so what's Bunco?
This does sound like the perfect comfort food, thanks!
(and thank you for playing!)

Anonymous said...

That's it? Even I could do something like that!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Yay for bunco! Who needs food at bunco? :)

Unknown said...

I love Chicken & Rice. So good in the winter!

Unknown said...

That sounds really yummy, so are you cooking dinner tonight? :)

Kaytabug said...

OH yum yum yum!!! I am taking note of this one! Thanks for sharing!!!