Monday, September 17, 2007

Fun Monday

SayreSmiles is hosting Fun Monday this week. She had a great topic.
Brush off your interview skills. Talk to everyone who lives in your house. I want to know what their, and your, favorite piece of art is in your home. Photographs do not count. If there was a fire in your home, everyone would grab photographs, but what is the non-photographic piece of art you would grab on your way out - and why? (Edit: These don't have to be paintings - these can be wall hangings, statues, lumps of clay by your child, anything that is artistic expression of some kind EXCEPT photographs.)

Super Z:
So after much ( and I mean MUCH ) deliberation Super Z decided that his favorite work of art is the skateboard that he painted at Harry the Potter. I have to agree with him that it is a wonderful piece. What makes it even better is the fact that he and I had a lovely time that day and seeing his skateboard always reminds me of that. We keep it in a sacred spot on our bookshelf. After more deliberation, Super Z decided that he likes his skateboard because,
" My brother Tyler rides a skateboard so fast. And he can do tricks. And when I get bigger I can too." I think that is an excellent reason.
Princess H:
Princess H isn't much of a talker. Well I mean she talks a lot, but she is not into answering questions. So I am answering in her stead. I believe that H's favorite work of art would be a wall hanging that her Mimi ( my Mama) did for her before she was born. Her whole room is decorated around this painting. I imagine that like me, Princess H thinks of her Mimi when she looks at it.

Randy:
Randy was almost stumped by this question. He was confused as to why I would ask him something like this. He was tired and befuddled and yet he came up with a pretty good answer. His favorite work of art that we have is a pencil drawing that my Mama did of a photograph that was taken of he and I right after we got engaged. He thinks that she did a wonderful job. When he looks at the drawing, he says that it takes him right back to that time in our life. I have to say that I agree. I mean although it is a pencil drawing, I can almost see the happiness in our eyes. The early happiness. That light kind of happiness that is full of possibilities.
Me:
My favorite work of art is also a drawing by my Mother. It is one that I asked her to draw for me. There is a picture of my Mom and Dad that was taken of them when my Mama was pregnant with me. The only copy of this picture is an eight by ten in my Mom's album. I have never seen another copy anywhere. I have loved that picture since I was very small. After my parents divorced it became even more important to me. It reminds me that their love existed and is the reason for my existence. However fleeting it may have been, it mattered. It was real. When I was 25 my Mama did a drawing of that picture for me. It is one of my most prized possessions.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW! Is your mom an artist? All the artwork by her looks fantastic.

Sayre said...

Your mother's drawings are wonderful - and it's great that you and Randy both treasure them.

Super Z's answer made me laugh - it makes so much sense!!! I love looking through children's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Such great non-photograph pictures! I was going to say I don't think we have any in my house right now, but I look up and there's one staring me down. Anyway, you're mother is quite talented. :) Great choices by all! The skateboard looks like it was loads of fun to paint... glad you both had fun remembering it!

CdS said...

I've seen those pictures and to see them again reminds me of how beautiful they are and how talented your mother is. Those are the type of things you keep forever. I also like Z's and H's pieces as well.

Unknown said...

Your mom is quite an artist! I love that picture of you and Randy.

OhTheJoys said...

How personal to have art by your own mom!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! The best things are the ones with sentimental value and all of yours have it. That's better than any pricey art out there!!!

But when I win that lottery we'll buy us a fancy schmancy piece or two!!

Anonymous said...

Your mother is very talented, what a perfect time to join Fun Monday (even though added a bit late) :). It's a lovely thought that you don't just see a drawing, you see your LIFE.