Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Blueberries and Fresh-air

Next week Super Z, Princess H and I are going to spend a couple of days with my Mamaw Etheridge. She is pretty weak these days and somebody has to stay with her at all times. I was happy to volunteer to stay with her for a couple of days. We will be going on the morning of July 10 and staying until the 13.

This will be the first time that I have spent the night at Mamaw's house since the 9th grade. That visit my one and only goal was to go riding around with my older cousin Laurie and smoke cigarettes.

Before that there had been week long visits every summer throughout my life and weekends scattered throughout the years. I had spent enough time there to know that Mamaw's beds were the most comfortable in the world, that nights were darker there than anywhere else, and that nothing made me feel as at home as the smell of morning at Mamaw's house.

I am especially excited about this trip, because it will be the first overnight at Mamaw's for my kids. That is awfully hard to believe. I am disappointed in myself that I haven't given them this experience before. How did I let business an life get in the way of sharing one of my greatest joys with them?

I know that there will be moments when I won't know what to do myself. The middle of nowhere is lacking on some of my daily necessities, such as the Internet and Target. But I also know that I will be filled with wonderful fresh-air, crisp perfect well water, blueberries fresh off the bush, the perfect smell of morning, and most importantly of all, moments with my Mamaw and my children, moments where family and home are the only things going on in the world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I was in college the last time I stayed. Kevin was on the couch and Mama & Daddy were in the other bed. So, I slept with Mamaw. I hardly slept all night worrying that I was going to accidentally kick her and hurt her.

On the upside for you, she has satellite now instead of the channel and a half that she had for years :)

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Hope you enjoy the trip.

JUST A MOM said...

enjoy sorry I am late.

Unknown said...

I hope you have a great time at your Mamaw's! I'm sure your kids will too and we'll be here when you find your way back to the internet.