Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mean Old Ladies and Sorrow

I cried all day yesterday. We had to take Callie back.
She was apparently 8 pounds over the weight limit that our neighborhood sets on dogs. It wouldn't have been an issue at all, but our neighbor called to complain 5 times before 8:30 in the morning on Monday.
Did she have any reason to complain? No. Callie was perfect. She was one of the best dogs ever. Perfectly housebroken, wonderfully behaved, and great with the kids. She stayed on a leash whenever she was outside. She never went in the woman's yard.
The woman just didn't want us to get away with something. That is the only thing that I can figure.
So, Callie is gone. She is back at her Foster Family. I hope that she finds another home soon. She is awesome, anyone out there looking for a dog? She is one of the best.
I feel awful. Super Z is broken hearted. We have to find a smaller dog soon or my son might wither away. I hope that another dog will make him feel a bit better. I hope that eventually my heart stops aching over the whole fiasco. I hope that Callie finds a forever home ASAP. I hope I can forgive my neighbor. I hope.

14 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

What kind of neighborhood do you live. I feel for you, especially when you are attached. I don't know if I could forgive but it is better to!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry. That is just awful. I can understand why you have have to forgive your neighbor, but can I hate her/him for you?

Bilbo said...

It's a shame that there are people who have to be like that...I mean, calling to complain five times before 8:30 about a dog that isn't doing anything offensive is a bit mean-spirited. Unfortunately, it points up the larger issue of local neighborhood covenants and their ability to circumscribe what we can do on our own property. The original intent may be good (protect the value of everyone's property and the quality of local life), but sometimes individuals need to be beaten up with a large common-sense stick when the letter of the rule becomes more important than its spirit. Good luck with replacing Callie - Super Z deserves to have a good dog as much as anyone.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

How heartbreaking. What kibd of people are that restrictive with a boy and his dog. You might be able to eventually forgive them, but your son might not.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

OH NO. Say it ain't so. I'm so sincerely sorry. I'd be the same way frazzled way. WOW. That is just plain awful my friend.

Anonymous said...

And, on a less harsh note: I am so so sorry, S. That is simply the worst thing I've heard all day.

Honeybell said...

That is horrible, I'm so sorry. What kind of a miserable wretch would do that to anyone?

JUST A MOM said...

what a mean lady 8 pounds give me a break see that is THE REASON we will never live in a HOA subdivision sorry I hope you find something soon!!!!!

NathanRyder said...

I'm just amazed... I don't even get that "8 pounds over the weight limit for the neighbourhood" - how is that even legal???

Good luck in finding another dog for Super Z.

Amanda said...

This is terrible! I never knew there were weight limits for dogs. What happens if you keep the dog? What if you had a dog that gained weight?

I feel bad for Super Z and your whole family. Its terrible to have something so sweet taken away so soon.

Hope you find another dog soon.

laurie said...

i've never heard of such a thing. eight pounds? a weight limit on dogs? someone complaining? did shew weigh your dog? how did she know how much callie weighs? what was her problem? have you thrown rocks through her window yet? would you like me to????

i am absolutely outraged.

Unknown said...

Aw, that is so very sad :(

What a miserable neighbor you have there...not happy person at all.

Major ((HUGS)) to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

God damn. Why can't people just mind their own damn business. I am so upset by this. :(

Pamela said...

I'm shocked.